N2.1bn Money Laundering: EFCC Files Charge Against Dokpesi

Federal Government filed charges against Raymond Dokpesi at the Federal high Court, Abuja in relation to his alleged receipt of about N2.1billion in the from the last administration from funds meant for the purchase of arms.

Justice Gabriel Kolawole will today at 12 noon hear his bail application.

Mr. Dokpesi pleaded not guilty to all six charges.

In a supporting affidavit, the applicant said he was arrested over his inability to honour an invitation by the office of the National Security Adviser (NSA) inviting Daar Investment and Holding Limited (an arm of Daar Communications Ltd) “for discussion on the supply and services rendered to the Office of the NSA”.

The money is said to have gone “for the funding of media activities for the 2015 presidential election campaign for the Peoples Democratic Party” (PDP).

The alleged offence is contrary to Section 58 (4) (b) of the Public Procurement Act 2007 and punishable under section 58 (6) and 7 of the same Act.

Dokpesi was arraigned on a six-count-charge of contract fraud and money laundering amounting to N2.1 billion.

While the suspects were slammed with various charges bordering on fraud and money laundering, the anti-graft agency also arraigned former Minister of State for Finance, Bashir Yuguda, Dasuki, Shuaibu Salisu, a former Director of Finance at the NSA office, Bafarawa, s son, Sagir, and a company, Dalhatu Investment Limited on a 22-count charge of fraud and money laundering.

Following Dokpesi’s not guilty plea, his counsel, Chief Mike Ozekhome, SAN, sought to move an application for his bail.

By consent of the two lawyers, Justice Kolawole fixed today for argument on whether to grant the bail to Dokpesi or not. He adjourned trial to February 17, 18 and March 2 and 3, 2016. Read his story here!

He said this had become necessary because of the vantage position of the defendant in the media.

He ordered that Dokpesi be remanded in the custody of the EFCC where he had been kept for some days.

In his application, dated December 3rd, he claimed that he was held at the EFCC headquarters in Abuja for 48 hours without being informed of the charges against him.

The 60-year-old former army colonel has said all contracts and payments were sanctioned by Jonathan as president and commander-in-chief.

He added that the commission had investigated 1, 881 cases so far in 2015, out of which 78 convictions were secured.

According to him, “Out of this figure, 280 cases were filed in courts and 78 convictions were secured”.

He also expressed gratitude to President Muhammadu Buhari for creating an enabling environment for the commission to carry out its mandate, adding that he would undertake institutional reforms to increase the Commission’s capacity to fight corruption. He said his five witnesses were ready.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *